Sunday, May 9, 2010

Carrot Bread

Original Recipe
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup Wesson oil
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. soda
1 cup grated carrots (firmly packed)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Mix and bake in loaf pan at 350 55-60 minutes.

Did it work?
Sort of. This results in a very dense, sweet vegetable bread, pretty close to the consistency of a banana or zucchini bread. Since this was my first attempt at one of the recipes out of Isllah's recipe box, I did a "trial run" of this before the memorial service. That test loaf did have a bit of a metallic aftertaste, so Kyna and I decided to cut the baking powder in half for the next loaf.

I enjoyed the results, even if it didn't generate as many comments as the rhubarb cake. I will definitely be making this again.

Modification
Less Baking powder. For the second loaf, I cut the baking power to 1/2 teaspoon. This pretty much removed the metallic aftertaste. Since the bread is so dense already, this didn't have much impact on it's rise.

Firmly packed means Firmly packed I'm pretty sure I didn't have enough carrot in the first loaf. Shred enough carrot to fill a measuring cup to the 1 cup mark, compress, add more shredded carrot, and repeat until you can't compress below 1 cup. You don't need to squeeze out carrot juice, but that's just about the only mark of overdoing "firmly packed".

No comments:

Post a Comment